Necklace, earrings, brooches, and pendants with decorative precious stones are just some example of Jewelry. It denotes wealth, power, class, and status. But traditionally, we buy jewelry to send as a gift.
However, if you are planning to buy one, you should be vigilant because there are tons of fake and fraud jewelry everywhere.
Here are some tips on how you will spot fake jewelry
- Check the Price – If the price seems to low and seems to be too good to be true, then trust your instincts. It may be a fake jewelry. Why? Because a huge discount for itis rare. Do not let the price deceive you.
- Check if the seller is reputable – When shopping for jewelry always check the seller’s reputation especially when buying online. Check the customer’s feedback regarding the seller to ensure that you are buying genuine items.
- Check their Policy/ Warranty – Know if the item you are planning to buy has a return policy or warranty. Standard return policy should be at least 14 days. However, if the seller holds no return policy, then it is possible that the product is fake or low quality.
- Check for the Hallmark – If you want to know if you’re buying a legit jewelry, look for hallmark. It certifies the metal purity of jewelry or silverware. There are different hallmarks for every piece you’re plan of buying. 9-carat gold, 950 platinum, and 950 silver are some example of hallmarks for precious metals.
- Check the Branding – High-end brands usually come with their own hallmark. You can try checking this to ensure that the product is genuine. Be keen to details, examine closely at fonts, layouts, and spellings to avoid buying fake items. For example, top brands like Tiffany stamps their products with Tifanny & Co hallmark.
- Check the Quality – One way to spot fake jewelry is by checking its quality. If you are buying a necklace or bracelet, check its link. A genuine bracelet and necklace have a smooth and solid look. And if you are eyeing off the ring or any jewelry with precious stone, check the stone’s setting and mounting. See if the stone is glued and mounted properly.
- Check the Stones – If you are planning to buy a jewelry with a mounted stone, examine the stones. Why? because most fake is mounted with replica stones and gems. These replicas are often created using a mixture of glass and plastic. While genuine gemstones are naturally imperfect. In fact, you can see that they have natural imperfections using a magnifying glass.
- Certification & Documentations – If you bought a diamond ring, it should have a certificate, which is normally from the GIA, IGI, and EGL. The certificate proves the authenticity of the product, so, always ask for it. Aside from it, the item should also come with documentation like instructions for cleaning the item. However, not all documents are real so better to check the document’s quality. Check it out for spelling, grammar error.
- Test the metal – The best way to check the authenticity of the jewelry is by testing the metal. There are many ways to check and test the metal such as the magnet test and skin test.
- Get a Second Opinion – If you are not knowledgeable about these, you can try consulting into a professional appraiser.
Say no to fake jewelry!
Buying jewelry is not easy nowadays because there are tons of sellers. And some of them are selling fraud items, so you need to be extra careful. In fact, there are tons of jewelry stores in Broward County. And maybe right now, you are asking yourself what are the jewelry stores near me.
Well, if you are looking for Florida Jewel shop, you can try Alfred’s Jewelry and Design. We have 30 years of experience in making and repairing jewelry and more.